Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Removed grill and installed stock air cleaner

Removing the grill on this '71 was a bit of a pain, compared to my '66.  The 1800s had four screws, simple.  This 1800e has a bunch of clips holding on its plastic grill.  I had to use a flat blade screwdriver and a pair of duck-bill pliers to remove the clips.  For 44 year old plastic, the grill is in great condition.


removing the clips was tricky; I had to pry with the screwdriver while pulling with pliers.


I found that the two ends came out first and then the top center clip was able to drop out.
K&N filter
Stock air cleaner from Don at p1800.com

3 comments:

  1. I remember the grill being annoying to remove. Also, those clips are easy to break. I had a bunch of replacement ones at one point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me! I think there's four clips holding it for now!

      Delete
  2. Do either of you know how many clips are needed to hold the grill in place? Mine had screw holes which severely weakened the grill and it cracked on one end and completely broke on the other. I'd like to go back to clips, unless you have come up with a better solution.

    ReplyDelete