Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Stalled in West Chicago

I took the car for a nice drive before work today, following the Fox river South on Route 31 into Aurora, Illinois.  About 7 miles from home, the engine began to sputter in 4th gear at 45 mph.  Easing off of the throttle and downshifting seemed to help, and I started questioning my new ignition.  The tachometer was bouncing a lot, but oil pressure, temp etc indicated normal.  After stopping for some construction, the engine died and would not start.  I am waiting for a tow and figured I might as well write a blog post.

I am suspecting a clogged fuel filter or strainer.  I left home without my tool bag so there was not much that I could do on the side of the road (my fault of course).  I had a new filter in my trunk but without at least a screwdriver it didn't matter.

Wayne, IL
Stranded.
After waiting two hours I went to get a cup of coffee. 
  
The tow truck finally arrived at just before 5:00.

2 comments:

  1. The tach developed that bouncing problem shortly before the car stopped being my daily driver, which was around 2000 or 2001. It's worse in summer. If it gets hot enough the needle will just go all the way to the right and stay there until the ignition is switched off. My dad thought it might be a bad capacitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, it worked fine for me until soon after I installed the electronic ignition. Good information, thanks!

      Delete