Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Broken wire

After installing the radiator and running the engine, it was idling very poorly.  I had adjusted the valve lash and points gap, installed a stock air filter (ditching the K&N).  The plugs were soaked with gasoline, indicating either weak spark or a fuel control problem.

I spent a few days chasing the possibility of an ignition bug, after breaking a plug wire and trying to set the points gap back to how I found it.  Upgrading to electronic ignition eliminated the points and condenser, and the plugs were still fowling with gas.  I put the K&N back on, which was no help.  I was beginning to think that I had somehow messed-up the valve adjustment.

Yesterday, instead of pulling the valve cover to recheck my adjustments, I made a quick inspection around the engine.  I had (previously) noticed a couple of wires that were too close to the exhaust manifold and tied them away.  I checked those wires and found that I had broken one of them.  They provide a variable resistance signal to the fuel injection computer which it uses to determine engine temperature to adjust the length of time the injectors stay open.  Bingo!


These were the only small enough female spade connectors that Autozone had.
A decent but temporary repair.
The car runs great now, but it looks like the test drive might have to wait.  :-( 

No comments:

Post a Comment