Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Friday, November 13, 2015

Installed ebay valve cover etc

Kyle was of from school today. We got up early, rechecked the valve lash then cleaned up the mating surface and installed the 'new' valve cover.

After adding oil to the engine and distilled water to the radiator, we connected the battery and cranked the engine.  It started right away but was idling very poorly.  I tried to adjust the timing with the strobe, but it still sounded like it was missing on a cylinder.  I moved the strobe trigger to each wire and found number four was the culprit.  While disconnecting the plug wire, it fell apart.

I had planned to upgrade to IPD wires eventually, so getting new wires locally would be a waste of money.  I decided to order a set of wires from IPD, and added a cap, rotor and EI kit.  They shipped today.

Eventually we'll get a cast aluminum valve cover, until then this will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment