Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Cleaned Engine and Removed Radiator

This morning I degreased the engine and then sprayed some Gunk engine shine on it.  I read about spraying Armor-All 'tire wet' after cleaning, but found the Gunk engine shine next to the degreaser and decided to try that.

I don't mind the look of an oily engine, but would prefer not to work on one.
It cleaned-up nicely

Happy that the engine started and ran fine after its bath, I drained the cooling system and removed the radiator.  I brought the radiator to Rex Radiator in Bensenville, IL to have them recore it.  They will also add a hole with a bung for the electric fan sensor switch.  The sensor had been stuck into the upper hose nipple with gobs of RTV, not a good idea but common from what I understand. 


The box on the left is the fan controller.
Blue RTV sealed this bad idea, but there must be a better way.
Radiator gone.

3 comments:

  1. The first year I had the car it had a lot of cooling system problems. We had a Volvo mechanic replace the water pump, and he might have also put a non-oem pulley-mount fan on as well. The fan mounting bolts were really close to the radiator for some reason, and when I would hit the brakes hard, the engine would move forward a bit (soft or loose motor mounts, I guess?) and the bolts would rub on the radiator and make an awful noise. The fan was also just loud in general. I was afraid the fan bolts were going to wear a hole in the radiator. My dad and I installed that electric fan. It was much quieter.

    By the way, there's supposed to be a hose that goes from that little breather thing next to the distributer to the intake manifold. I think it's supposed to create a vacuum in the crankcase to prevent oil leaks. I remember it being there, but I don't remember permanently removing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information, thanks Peter! I'm adding motor mounts to my IPD shopping list. I do need to re-plumb the breather line as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information, thanks Peter! I'm adding motor mounts to my IPD shopping list. I do need to re-plumb the breather line as well...

    ReplyDelete