Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Removed the fuel pump

After removing the fuel pump, I noticed that each port is labeled.  The labels seemed odd, compared to how it had been installed.  The center port was plugged (no longer used) and had a 'D' label, while the supply to the engine was labeled 'R'.

After further research online, thanks to a few great information resources including Dr-DJet, it does appear as though my car's fuel pump had been plumbed incorrectly!

This could explain why my fuel system was not holding pressure with the engine off, because the check valve is in the center port.  I plan to disassemble, clean and inspect the pump (not the motor) tomorrow morning.  It will be interesting to see how servicing the pump and installing it as designed affects pressure and flow rate.  I will need a 5/16" tee fitting.


My pump had 'D' plugged and 'R' as the output.
I borrowed this picture from Dr-DJet; see above link and a link in the right column.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea it was hooked up wrong. The fuel pump is one thing I don't think I ever messed with. My solution to the pressure problem had been to rewire the pump (with a little switch under the dash on the left that might still be there) so that it ran constantly when the ignition was on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the switch is still there, thank you. I'm sure the plumbing was done by another previous owner; it did supply the flow and pressure until now.

      Delete