Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Drained the fuel tank

Last night, I sprayed some good penetrating oil onto the gas tank drain plug.  This morning I removed the plug and drained the tank into a couple of gas jugs, filtering it as it drained.  I was hoping to drain the sediment from the fuel tank, but I didn't get much out.  The drain plug did not have much dirt on it, so it's possible that sediment is not the issue.

I ran out of time today, but my next chore will be to replace the fuel line that feeds the pump.  I plan to attempt to clean the strainer with compressed air, just before connecting the hose to the fuel pump.

The gasoline was very fresh, so I filtered it and poured it back in.
It helped to have two jugs and funnels.
The drain plug was fairly clean.
The bung appears to be brass, brazed into the steel tank.
I had anticipated much more sludge than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment