Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Installed fuel pressure gauge, new filter



When the car stalled and wouldn't start a couple weeks ago, it seemed to be starving for fuel.  I purchased a fuel pressure gauge on ebay, which just arrived today.  I had a new fuel filter but wanted to check the pressure before changing anything.  As I suspected, the gauge indicated normal (29 psi) because the system was not completely clogged.  I replaced the filter, installed a new distributor cap (I had received the wrong one from IPD because my distributor is not original) and Bosch wires.

I picked up my father and by that time the idle was way too high (close to 2000) so we pulled into a parking lot and adjusted the idle speed  and then the fuel pressure (which had increased to around 32 psi).

After driving only a few miles, the car started to act like it wasn't getting enough fuel so I headed towards home.  I was about 3/4 of a mile from home when it died again.  This time, I had a fuel pressure gauge and a tool roll.  I'm pretty sure that if I could watch the gauge while driving then I would see it fluctuating but at idle and revving without load, it was rock solid at 29 psi.

Now I am reasonably certain that the fuel tank needs to be cleaned out before any more joy rides.


This Marshall gauge cost me 18 bucks and I am pleased with it.

The fuel pump has an extra hose which is plugged with a bolt.
New OE wires.
The IPD wires for cylinders 3 and 4 were a little short, IMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment