Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Fuel pump inspection / cleaning

The four 4mm screws holding the pump assembly to the motor were a little seized.  I drilled a 1 1/2" hole in a scrap piece of 2 x 4 lumber, to allow for the bell end of the pump motor to sit flat.  After that, it only took one or two hits with my impact driver the free - up the screws.

My cheap Harbor Freight impact driver has never failed me, yet...
I was surprised at how clean the pump internals were.
There was a burr on the inlet side of this casting, which I removed with a razor blade.
Dr-DJet is proven correct, the motor is filled with gasoline.
An elegantly simple design that is very effective at moving fuel, using centrifugal force and fluid displacement.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff. My name is Peter, and this was my car for about 20 years. You met my dad last month. I think you know about the transmission replacement. Another major repair we did besides that was to replace all the suspension bushings. We used OEM rubber ones, rather than urethane. I also replaced all the fuel injector seals. A big job that I wanted to do but never got the chance to was to replace the fuel injection wiring harness. I'll add some comments on your other posts with more details that you might find interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peter! Thank you for taking the time to post these comments, its great to hear from you! The car drives so well, I am pleased (not surprised) to hear that it has new(er) suspension bushings. I agree that a new fuel injection harness could be a good idea, those wires are very brittle.

      Delete