Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Removed fuel tank

This morning, I removed the fuel sending unit and gas tank.  The Philips head screws were filled with dirt; I used a 1/16" drill bit to clean the sending unit's screws and a 5/64" bit on the tank mounting screws.  After that, all fasteners were easily removed.  

It took very little effort, pushing up from below, to free the tank from the butyl putty covered flange.  This was not a job that I had been looking forward to, but it wasn't bad at all. 



A 1/16" drill bit cleaned the screw heads nicely
The float had a lttle liquid inside it

The rubber was still reasonably soft, which really helped
Tipping it out
A solid tank, ready for refurbishing

No comments:

Post a Comment