Volvo@Ikea

Volvo@Ikea
This blog documents my Volvo 1800E project car; It may be of little interest to others but serves as an electronic logbook. I will also use it to document our travels in this car.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Fuel sending unit inspection

Thankfully, the gas tank should be serviceable; not so much for the fuel sending unit.  The fuel gauge had been working somewhat, but never quite made it to full position.  I found two problems:  the float had some liquid in it and the contact arm was worn-through.

Prior to disassebly, full position read 44 ohms, and empty (at the stop) 233.  The book specs 16-22 ohms at full and around 250 at empty (from memory).  I tried to cut off and bend the contact arm and then it was totally ruined.  Shopping for a replacement!

I will use the mounting flange from this one, to hold the rebar / insulator to the tank during cleaning.

Full
Empty
Lots of fillups over the years!
Normal wear, I guess

No comments:

Post a Comment